by : Alyaa Ghanema
Cupping therapy is very effective in treating respiratory problems such as colds, flu, congestion, cough, phlegm buildup and pulmonary tuberculosis. When aspiration is performed on the thorax, it has the effect of promoting blood circulation and the drainage of lymphatic fluid. For this reason, cupping can help you with asthma, seasonal allergies, and lung infections.
• Wet cupping is the best choice
• Herbal cupping can be done if wet cupping therapy cannot be done.
• For chronic asthma, session every 3 weeks for 2 sessions, then once every 3 months for a year.
• For acute cases, one session is sufficient
• C7, on both sides of T1, T3, T5, L3, L5.
• Above the shoulder blade and parts of the chest (1, 55, 4, 5, 120, 49, 115, 116,
• 9, 10, 117, 118, 135, 136,) and two suction cups below both knees
• Above the sternum
General recommendations before the cupping session:
1. You must fully explain to your patient what cupping is.
During a shaping treatment, a cup is placed on the skin and then suctioned onto the skin using plastic pumps.
This suction pulls the skin and muscles up into the dome. Your skin may turn red as the blood vessels react to the change in pressure.
With dry forming, the cup is placed for a set amount of time, usually between 5 and 10 minutes.
With wet cupping, the cups are usually only in place for a few minutes before the practitioner removes them and makes a small incision to draw blood.
Once the cups are removed, the practitioner can cover the previously incised areas with ointment and bandages. This helps prevent infection of bruises or other marks that will normally go away within 10 days of the session.
After the session:
• Immediately after the session, it is recommended to give the patient a honey juice consisting of two spoons of honey and ½ cup of water (or 10 spoons of water). The patient is sometimes expected to feel drowsy, let them sit up for at least 15 minutes before leaving.
• It is recommended to delay your first meal after the session by 2 to 3 hours.
• You can take a shower the same day
As cupping therapy is mainly a detox therapy, you should support it with detox and herbs that boost immunity. It is therefore recommended to take:
• Daily honey juice in the morning (one spoon of honey with 5 spoons of water)
• Increase your water intake by 8-10 cups/day
• Take fresh lemon juice with honey daily for 10 days after cupping therapy
• Increase your intake of fresh fruits and vegetables
• Broccoli soup is recommended, avocado juice is also recommended
• Do not eat white sugar containing foods or drinks.
• Do not eat fatty, fried meals
• Do not drink carbonated beverages
• Do the breathing exercise early in the morning
• Take seven dates as breakfast
• Figs and olives as a snack
• Olive oil, vinegar and brown bread as a snack… all fermented foods (carbohydrates + vinegar)
• Take healthy drinks of cumin, mint, ginger……. etc
• Take a spoonful of sprouted seeds every day for ten days
• Follow a detox diet for one day for the first ten days after the session
general recommendations with some tips
• Early morning honey juice: 5g black seed + 3 drops black seed oil + ½ squeezed lemon juice + 5 tbsp warm water
• Inhale steam from boiling water with black seeds or ginger twice a day for 5 minutes
• Apply a warm towel with ginger on the chest for 10 minutes every night